We’re always hearing from excited people who want to help out with WordCamp Ottawa but aren’t sure how. Here’s your chance!
We need a team of people who want to help make WordCamp Ottawa 2014 as pleasant as possible. Our volunteers help ensure that the venue space is set up on time, that we have everything we need and that the registration process is smooth and effective.
Volunteers can have free access to WordCamp if they want. Anyone willing to take on at least 3 hours of on-duty volunteering won’t have to buy a ticket to WordCamp—although you can still buy one if you want to support the event. If you would like to volunteer for WordCamp Ottawa 2014, please complete an application form on the Volunteer Application page.
- Setup: These volunteers will be asked to come in early—especially on the first day—to help set up the chairs and other elements of the venue before the event begins.
- Takedown: Help us clean up and take down any equipment/tables we have setup.
- Registration and Greeters: Your role is to help manage the registration table, and to make sure attendees are registered and receive their badges and gifts. We also need people to act as ambassadors in the venue and help lost people find the rooms they are looking for.
- Registration Manager: For this role, we are looking for someone to help us make sure the registration table runs smoothly during the day. For that we’re looking for someone who is not interested in attending sessions (or not more than one) and can be at the registration table most of the day. In the past, this role has been typically been filled by a close friend or relative of an attendee.
- Room Host: Your role is to help keep speakers on time, get water or supplies they need, and let us know if there are problems in the room, such as A/V equipment failure. This is one of the plum positions as you get to watch the sessions while doing your task.
- Video Support: Help keep the cameras running for each session. This is one of the other plum positions as you get to watch the sessions while doing your task.
- Coffee and Snack Helpers (may not be required) : Your role is to keep the coffee and snack tables stocked, clean and tidy.
Volunteering for the Happiness Bar
The Happiness Bar is a special activity at WordCamp where local and visiting WordPress experts offer help and advice to other attendees who come up to the Bar with their WordPress questions.
Are you a WordPress expert? Do you like helping others and contributing to the open source community? Well, the Happiness Bar is where you can shine!
It’s a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people and show them how much you know. (Maybe they’ll hire you!) Happiness Bar volunteers don’t get free attendance because it’s a fun and rewarding activity on its own. It’s also a great way to give back to the open source community.
As a Happiness Bar volunteer you need to commit to one-hour blocks of time. Choose one block or many!
If you’d like to volunteer for WordCamp Ottawa 2014, please complete the application form on the Volunteer Application page.